Tata Power takes over Control of 2 Odisha Discoms; Renamed as TPWODL, TPSODL

Utility major Tata Power has taken over the management and operations of two Odisha Discoms i.e. Western Electricity Supply Company of Odisha (WESCO) and SOUTHCO post sale process completion.

January 08, 2021. By Manu Tayal

Utility major Tata Power has taken over the management and operations of two Odisha Discoms i.e. Western Electricity Supply Company of Odisha (WESCO) and SOUTHCO post sale process completion.

As per order issued by the Odisha Electricity Regulatory Commission (OERC), Tata Power holds 51 per cent of equity with management control in the company and the remaining 49 per cent equity stake will be with state-owned GRIDCO.

Now, both WESCO and SOUTHCO will operate under the company name as TP Western Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPWODL) and TP Southern Odisha Distribution Ltd (TPSODL) respectively.

TPWODL will now be responsible for the distribution and retail supply of electricity in 5 circles of WESCO covering 2 million consumers with annual input energy of 7520 MUs in areas  of Rourkela, Burla, Bhawanipatna, Bolangir, Bargargh, while TPSODL will be responsible for the distribution covering 2.3 million consumers with average energy input of 3470 MUs and retail supply of electricity in 6 circles of SOUTHCO in areas of Ganjam City, Berhampur, Aksa, Bhanjannagar, Jeypore and Rayagada.

Post this acquisition, Tata Power’s distribution circles will expand to the western (TPWODL) and southern part (TPSODL) of Odisha with geographical spread of over 47,000 sq km each. It will manage a network of over 100,000 CKT KMs each for a license period of 25 years.

With the inclusion of two additional distribution utilities, the company has expanded its consumer base to 9.5 million from the present base of 5.2 million across Mumbai, New Delhi, Central part of Odisha and Ajmer.

Commenting on this occasion, Praveer Sinha, CEO & MD, Tata Power said that, “It is a proud moment for us as we have ushered in the new year by commencing operations in WESCO and SOUTHCO in the state of Odisha. We are committed to provide reliable, affordable and quality power supply along with superior customer service. We are thankful to the Odisha Government and OERC for giving us this opportunity and reaffirm Tata Power’s commitment of ‘Lighting up Lives’ for the people of Odisha.”

Meanwhile, the company has retained all the existing employees of both WESCO and SOUTHCO, and aimed to create a successful PPP model in the power sector.

Please share! Email Buffer Digg Facebook Google LinkedIn Pinterest Reddit Twitter
If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content,
please contact: contact@energetica-india.net.
 
 
 
Next events

 

Last interview
 
 
Privacy Policy (PDF) / Terms and conditions (PDF)
 Energetica India is a publication from Editorial Omnimedia. No reproduction in whole or part of content posted on this website.