Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ:TXN) today introduced breakthrough high-efficiency power management controllers that save standby power to help smartphone users consume less electricity with their 5-watt cube adapters, even when they are left plugged into the wall. The new UCC28700 primary-side controllers will enable smaller cubes, wireless power charging stations and other AC-powered equipment. TI also introduced the TPS2511, an intelligent USB charging controller that complies with USB Battery Charging 1.2 specifications for charging adapters of popular smartphones or 5-V tablets.
No-load adapter power
Phone and adapter makers strive to meet the new 5-Star no-load power consumption rating of <30mW, as set by the European Commission’s Integrated Product Policy (EC IPP). The highly efficient UCC28700 flyback controllers achieves this low standby power rating with the smallest solution size and component count resulting in the greatest power density. For more information, free samples and to order evaluation modules, visit: www.ti.com/ucc28700-pr.
Key features and benefits of the UCC28700:
• Lowest standby power: Achieves <30-mW standby power consumption and requires only 1.5-uA startup current.
• Highest integration with primary side regulation: Eliminates need for opto-feedback circuit; wide VDD input voltage range and hysteresis with low IDD standby current results in smaller capacitors; high-frequency allows smaller transformers; and requires no additional external circuitry.
Making smartphone and tablet charging universal
Today’s mobile users are frustrated with phone and tablet 5-W and 10-W chargers that only support one brand-name device. Consumers often need a new charger when they purchase a new mobile device, adding to the number of adapters in a home – and ultimately adding to landfills. TI’s TPS2511 intelligent USB charge controller meets the USB Battery Charging 1.2 specification, and provides additional charge algorithms to the system. It combines a current-limit USB power switch and a USB dedicated charging port identification circuit to automatically detect USB 2.0 and 3.0 data line voltages and provide the correct electrical signature to safely charge compliant devices. For more information, free samples and evaluation modules visit: www.ti.com/tps2511-pr.
Key features and benefits of the TPS2511:
• Meets regulatory requirements set forth by USB Battery Charging 1.2, as well as the Chinese Telecom Specification YD/T 1591-2009.
• Supports many popular smartphones or 5-V tablets using universal charging capability.
Speed time-to-market with adapter charging reference designs
In addition to evaluation modules, TI introduced several new reference designs for download that include the TPS2511, UCC28700 and other TI power management circuits. Designers can access the following reference designs by clicking on the links:
• Universal AC input, 5-V, 2.1-A smart USB charger cube (TPS2511, UCC28700)
• Universal car charger for USB devices (TPS2511, TSP54250)
• Dual-port USB universal car charger (TPS2511, TPS40170)