TERI powers over 50,000 households in rural Bihar with clean energy.

India has evolved from being a power-deficit country to having surplus power. Further, the Central government's Saubhagya scheme is working towards ensuring full village electrification by 2019. Public-private partnerships (PPP) can help realise that vision by plugging the gaps in the power-supply chain and providing clean, reliable, and affordable energy through distributed renewable energy (DRE). In line with this, and under its Lighting a Billion Lives (LaBL) campaign, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI) has built a partnership with Bihar Rural Livelihoods Promotion Society's (BRLPS) JEEViKA programme through an innovative institutional model to make clean energy products affordable to local women-based Self Help Groups (SHGs). Till date, the programme has benefitted over 50,000 households across Bihar by providing access to Solar Home Lighting Systems (SHLS) and clean cookstoves.

The programme aims to complement the government's vision of enriching rural livelihoods by providing reliable electricity to every household. Under this PPP model, 60 per cent of the funds are tapped from the savings of the SHGs of the JEEViKA programme, and the remaining 40 per cent mobilised by TERI through grants and CSR funds. The programme beneficiaries - located across Gaya, Khagariya, Madhubani, Purnia and West Champaran districts - suffer from erratic grid power supply. In Purnia alone, 28, 261 households benefitted from the programme. TERI's efforts not only helped upgrade the cooking and lighting systems of the communities, they also enhanced education and good health. Additionally, the programme also helped improve the livelihood opportunities through small enterprises such as weaving, sewing, vending, etc., made possible due to the additional hours of lighting in the evening brought about by solar products.

The TERI-JEEViKA programme in Bihar operates on an entrepreneurial model of energy service delivery in which TERI has trained and mentored around 20 energy entrepreneurs who procure the solar home systems and clean cookstoves from accredited manufacturers, install them at house-holds, and ensure maintenance with the support of a network of around 300 solar technicians. After-sales services and complaint redressal are managed through a centralised call centre and a WhatsApp-based service connecting consumers to local technicians in their areas. With the success of this programme, similar grid-connected plus distributed RE solutions can be replicated in other states to provide energy security to underserved rural households.

TERI initiated Lighting a Billion Lives (LaBL) campaign in 2008 with the objective to replace the use of kerosene with solar energy and engage local entrepreneurs for efficient and reliable energy delivery. The campaign also addresses the major issue of indoor air pollution by promoting clean energy devices. The use of kerosene oil for lighting and traditional stoves for cooking causes indoor air pollution, which affects the health of poor families, especially women and children.

While the UK government's Department for International Development (DFID) provided a grant to support the TERI-JEEViKA programme, corporates such as Power Finance Corporation (PFC), Agriculture Insurance Company (AIC) of India Limited, etc. have also provided funding under their Corporate Social Responsibility.

Rural Electrification | News published on 24/07/2018 by Rashmi Nargundkar

 
 
Next events

 

Last interview
 
 
 Energetica India is a publication from Editorial Omnimedia. No reproduction in whole or part of content posted on this website.