MoS (I/C) Power Sh. Jyotiraditya M. Scindia has written to the Lok Sabha announcing that the country if expected to face a shortfall in power supply.
The country is likely to face a shortage of 6.7% in power supply for the year 2013-14. States of Southern Region are anticipated to have energy shortage of 19.1% during 2013-14. This is as per the assessment of demand and supply of power for the year 2013-14 done by Central Electricity Authority (CEA).
Acceleration in generating capacity addition during 12th Plan with a proposed target of 88,537 MW (excluding 30,000 MW renewable) against an achievement of 54,964 MW during 11th Plan.
1. Development of Ultra Mega Power Projects of 4000 MW each to reap benefits of economies of scale.
2. Augmentation of domestic manufacturing capacity of power equipment through Joint Ventures.
3. To meet the shortfall in coal supplies to thermal power stations from indigenous sources, the power utilities have been advised to import coal.
4. Strengthening of inter-state and inter-regional transmission capacity for optimum utilization of available power.
5. Promoting energy conservation, energy efficiency and demand side management measures.