Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) a JV under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India strongly refutes all claims of having installed faulty LED street lights in their project in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area. Refuting all reports regarding the Street Light National Programme, EESL highlights the following-
1. Under the Government of India’s Street Lighting National Programme (SLNP) over 1.98 lakh conventional street lights have been replaced with LED street lights in Delhi. The newly installed LED streetlights in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation (SDMC) area have led to brighter streets, feeling of enhanced safety and security among the residents.
2. EESL procurements conform to BIS specification & carry a 7 year warranty against technical defects. EESL conducts appropriate quality checks right from the bidding stage to the field level. This has resulted in the LEDs’ overall technical fault being less than 2% in the 14 lakh lights installed by EESL in the country.
3. EESL is also taking proactive measures for grievance redressal, such as use of social media platforms, BSES toll free helpline, email complaint system and use of mobile vans for night patrolling. EESL is installing Centralised Control and Monitoring System (CCMS) to enable remote operation and monitoring of the street lights.
4. For complaints against non-functioning LED street lamps the consumers can send a message via WhatsApp on 7827999222 or they can send their complaints to email@example.com. Alternatively complaints are also being recorded on the EESL social media handles.
5. All complaints are redressed in a period of 48-72 hours and for that EESL has deployed its own staff as well as PMCs. EESL has received just 14,850 complaints in the last two months out of 1.98 lakh streets that have been installed. EESL has already resolved over 12,406 complaints in entire SDMC area. As per the contract, EESL is required to maintain an uptime of 95%, which in the present case is more than 97%. This is one of the highest in the country.
6. Strict action against erring vendors is being taken by EESL.
7. To address all grievances, EESL has put in place additional measures and doubled its on-field teams which are deployed for maintainance.
8. There are regular weekly meetings and reviews with SDMC to rectify the problems faced on field which are not covered in the MoU signed by the tri-parties.
A PIL on the project has been filed in the High Court of Delhi and is scheduled for a hearing in the first week of November. EESL has made an investment of Rs 172 crore and guaranteed reduction in energy consumption by 53%. SDMC will pay EESL from out of the savings in energy and maintenance cost over a 7 year period. This project will result in annual reduction of 26.2 million kWh of energy during peak hours. SDMC will benefit by Rs 41.47 crores over 7 year period without having to invest any capital upfront. EESL, a Public Energy Services Company under the administration of Ministry of Power, Government of India (GoI) is the implementing agency for SLNP.
A social audit of about 4,500 people was conducted by PWC in SDMC area in May 2016. The audit shows that at an average 99.5% people feel that the LED street lights have contributed in enhancing the security of the vulnerable groups during nights. The survey also shows that 98.2% people are satisfied with the lighting levels from the new LED street lights. It is clearly visible from the results that the people are more comfortable with the LED street lights as compared to the old yellow coloured sodium vapour lamps. About 99% of the people responded that the new installations are more comfortable. About 99.75% of the people responded that the intensity & the brightness of the LED street lights is better than the earlier street lights. The intensity & brightness of the light has increased significantly after the replacement.
EESL is a public sector undertaking set up under Ministry of Power to facilitate implementation of energy efficiency projects like UJALA and SLNP. We are committed to the people of India in ensuring that superior quality LED bulbs are distributed and ensuring minimal grievances. EESL’s SLNP plan is a significant enabler of the government’s vision of ensuring ‘24X7 affordable power for all’ and its commitment towards energy conservation.
A joint venture of National Thermal Power Corporation Limited, Power Finance Corporation, Rural Electrification Corporation and POWERGRID, Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) was set up under Ministry of Power to facilitate implementation of energy efficiency projects. EESL is a Super Energy Service Company (ESCO) that seeks to unlock energy efficiency market in India, estimated to at US$ 12 billion, that can potentially result in energy savings of up to 20 per cent of current consumption, by way of innovative business and implementation models. It also acts as the resource centre for capacity building of State DISCOMs, ERCs, SDAs, upcoming ESCOs, financial institutions, etc.
News published on 30 / 09 / 2016 by Rashmi Nargundkar