Page 39

energetica-india-54

GUJARAT Targeting Established RENEWABLE ENERGY • Installed RE capacity is 4430MW (January, 2015) which is 15% country RE installed capacity. • As per GEDA, 12th Five Year plan target for addition of RE installed capacity is 4385 MW by 2017 (includes 1960 MW solar, 2165 MW wind capacity addition by 2017). • Gujarat’s RPO target in FY 2013-14 was 7% (Non-Solar 6% and Solar 1%). The total target of 7% (Non- Solar 4.99% and Solar 2.07%) was met however the non-solar target for the state was not met. • There is also no clarity on long term RPO targets beyond 2016. Efficiency Advanced • Enabling policy and regulatory mechanisms for RE development - Gujarat Solar Policy 2009 had been notified even before JNNSM phase 1 • The long-term fixed tariffs guaranteed by the Gujarat Solar Policy supported 860 MW of capacity addition till 2014. • The state solar policy was applicable till March 2014. The state recently drafted a new solar policy which shall be operational till 2020. Wind power policy was amended in 2013 (and is applicable Till 2016) to address revised targets and new potential estimates by MNRE. As per the policy WTGs installed and commissioned during the operative period shall be eligible for the incentives for a period of 25 years from date of commissioning or the life span of the WTGs. The electricity generated from the WTGs is exempted from Electrical Duty. WTGs for Captive use are exempted from demand cut to the extent of 30% of the installed capacity. • Capacity addition initiatives are faced with land availability, power evacuation and accessibility issues. Higher cost of setting up capacity in the marshlands where significant potential for solar and wind is present and unavailability of water are major roadblocks to capacity addition. • In January 2015, Adani group signed an MoU for setting up a solar park in Gujarat in partnership with USbased SunEdison at an investment of USD four billion (about INR 25,000 crore) and Welspun Renewables announced an investment of INR 8,300 crore to set up about 1,000 MW solar and wind capacities in the state. Coordination Established • No major deployment under JNNSM. Investors preferred fixed tariffs under Solar Power Policy of Gujarat, as opposed to prices from competitive bidding under JNNSM. • The state RE targets need to be realigned with the latest state committed targets to MNRE. • Good co-ordination with majority of RE developers who are giving their generation schedules to SLDC. Implementation Advanced • Established a pilot functional RE management desk at the SLDC and run a pilot RE forecasting project. There have not been any satisfactory results from pilot forecasting projects undertaken by appointing of 5 different FSPs. • Conventional plants are backed down on the basis of merit Order dispatch during low demand periods or in case of increase in wind generation. Few gas power plants are kept as balancing power reserve, and supply power to the grid in case of sudden drop in wind generation. Load regulation is done only in the extreme cases through equal percentage of reduction in load at each feeder on priority basis for load shedding. In this way Gujarat minimises the incidents of backing down of RE. • Insufficient evacuation infrastructure for the evacuation of power from additional RE capacity - government is planning to upgrade existing transmission corridors to accommodate the increase in generation capacity • Gujarat has Asia’s first and the largest solar park with a capacity of 590 MW at Charanka (274 MW commissioned till May, 2014). The “Solar Park” also has capacity to generate 100MW of Wind Power making it the world’s biggest solar- wind hybrid park. • Government of India declared Gandhinagar as a “Model Solar City” (5MW Gandhinagar grid connected Solar rooftop project)*. Gujarat has initiated the world’s first canal-based solar power project in Mehsana district - INR 100crs announced for solar plants along the banks of canals 39 energetica INDIA · NOV | DEC15


energetica-india-54
To see the actual publication please follow the link above